Tuesday 30 May 2023

Exploring the Artistry of Motorcycle Journeys

Wanderlust on Two Wheels
 
Self-portrait illustration by Agnes Prygiel featuring the artist in a motorcycle gear against Scottish Highlands
Illustration: Agnes Prygiel, 2023


    It's been nearly a year since my last post. The past 12 months have been dedicated to travel, photography, and my motorcycle. Can motorcycling be somewhat artistic, fitting the original theme of my blog?

    For me, the worlds of motorcycles and art are distinct and distant. On my motorbike, I escape everything, including art and the concept of being an artist. At the peak of my journeys, I disconnect from everything except the challenges of the road. Muscles tight, body exhausted, senses alert, I sharpen my focus and clarify my future goals.

    Considering this, does the element of hardship and battling against the rain, wind, and our own weaknesses not remind us of Matthew Barney's "Drawing Restrain"? In his performative work, he explores hindrance, difficulty, and monotony by attempting to etch lines on a wall while connected to an expanding rubber rope. The rope restricts movement, challenging the artist to overcome it with sheer strength and muscle power.

    A 250-mile ride in adverse weather conditions is incredibly tiring and extreme. Let alone a much longer touring experience, spanning days and geographically varied lands. Your body stiffens and aches from hours in the same position, often soaked despite wearing supposedly fully waterproof £1000 laminated Goretex gear. So why endure this hardship? 

    Adversity is transformative. I change after each tour, feeling more resilient, capable of handling more than expected.

    During expeditions, I encounter the profound beauty and power of nature. Stunning places, hidden waterfalls, phenomenal cliffs, and the breathtaking sea resonate with my sense of serenity and solitude. I'm often amazed by the shapes of rocks, the direction of waves, and patterns on trees. I stop for hours to capture memories as a woman traveler and to photograph the perennial landscapes.

    So, is it art or not? I suppose it is.

Agnes Prygiel, London 30.05.2023